Friday, December 22, 2006

Talk about Crosses4Peace.


We've made 200 crosses4peace, so far. We've distributed 120 that we know of, but where are they? If you have a peace cross -- or other symbol -- won't you tell us about it? Just leave a comment with your City and State or Nation -- your street would be nice, if you're not too shy. Photos are optimal (to UNCOIL2005@yahoo.com), but we understand you're crazy busy these days. Your comments are like gold. Please share a word or two.

Not sure what a Cross4Peace is? Read on. If you're already on board need help or just want to complain, skip on down and post a comment.

www.Crosses4Peace.org

Heard on Ed Schultz, seen in newspapers from Alameda to Indiana, diaried on DailyKos, blogged about, talked about and seen about town, UNCOIL officially launches file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Owner/My%20Documents/Summer

A group of Napa peace activists, UNCOIL (United Napans Concerned Over Iraq Lunacy) has been inspired by Jeff Heaton’s Crosses of Lafayette and similar memorials from Santa Monica, CA to Crawford, TX. Mr. Heaton and volunteers placed 100’s of white crosses on private property to create an honor memorial for peace near the Lafayette BART station. It’s visible from Highway 24 just east of the Oakland hills.

On learning about the Crosses4Peace project, Jeff Heaton responded, “This is a great idea. I was hoping something like this would happens as a result of our efforts. We are turning the cross into a peace sign instead of a sign of the crusades. I hope this idea takes off across the country. I will pass this email on to others. ”

A Sonoma Veterans for Peace member explained the Crosses4Peace.org project like this, “Instead of putting 3000 crosses in one place, the idea is to put 1 cross in 3000 places.

Sybil Hinkle elaborated, “We don’t need a cemetery-like field of crosses to remind ourselves that our American soldiers serve and die in this dreadful war daily and that we grieve not only for them and their mission, but for the Iraqi people torn apart by this horrific tragedy. A single white cross can honor all those killed in Iraq and symbolize that you do not forget the fallen, nor that until this war is brought to an end, too many others will meet a similar fate. One cross will do it. One lawn or one window at a time.” Another UNCOIL member added, “Anyone who wants to use a different symbol or make a sign is welcome to participate any way they’re comfortable.”

To get your own while supplies last, phone Summer in north Napa at 707-252-8242 or John in south Napa at 707-251-0106. To make a cross in your window, wide first aid tape works well. For more information, photos and directions for do-it-yourselfers, visit http://www.crosses4peace.org/. This blog will repeat in Spanish.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proudly displaying a white cross in my front yard in Lucerne, California in support of Crosses4Peace. Thank you for your support!

Anonymous said...

I have a white cross from Crosses4Peace in my front yard in Yountville, California. I have added the words PEACE in black across the cross piece. Thank you for your support!

John said...

I like my cross in front of my home as a witness against the war on Minahen St. in Napa. Bush wants to hide the crosses. I am trying to point out the great loss of life that war always brings. It is silent, strong, poignant and states my opposition.

GoMommyGo said...

Thank you, everyone, for your continued efforts toward peace. Personally, I hold it to be a self-evident truth that all humans are endowed by their Creator with this fundamental,inalienable right to peace.

GoMommyGo said...

Kelly's cross is at 1029 Summit Avenue in peace-loving Napa, CA

Anonymous said...

I have my Cross on Sunnyside Rd, St Helena. Thank you for allowing us all to remember and seek Peace.

Unknown said...

I live on Pueblo Avenue in Napa, California and I am proudly displaying my Cross4Peace to demonstrate to my neighbors and any passers-by that I support an end to this war and to encourage them to also take a stand; to similarly make their opposition to this war known to others as well.

Anonymous said...

Check out 1819 Trower in Napa!